Saturday, May 14, 2005

Spoon

So I bought the new Spoon album yesterday and I cannot stop listening to it. The sound is so unique that it is hard for me to explain. It's got a sort of sway and swagger to it that makes me feel like I should be sitting around my apartment late and night with a handful of friends all drinking whiskey and chain-smoking cigarettes. I don't know much about bop music, and I know this album isn't jazz by any means, but somehow I can see Dean Moriarty and Sal Paradise driving across the country in their 35' Ford groovin' on this record, it's just got that dirty feel to it. It is a cross between Wilco, Tom Petty, the Stones and Prince, and manages to pull it all together into a masterful album. I saw them when they came to London with Interpol a month ago and was really groovin' on the new sound, and I am quite disappointed that they are going to be performing in Lawrence on the 13th of June, one day before I get back to the States. If only they were coming a few days later...oh well.

4 comments:

the syndicate said...

10hr. left and i'm listening to the new spoon and loving life.

sloring said...

you're a good man, charley brown...you leave in 10 hours then? Nutso

the syndicate said...

no i'm done w/ this project

sloring said...

oh...when do you leave?