Saturday, July 30, 2005

Kerouac: Conservative, Lawyer style

Yesterday I embarked on a 'road trip' of sorts with my family to a destination of northern Michigan. I am currently staying at a Holiday Inn in Holland, Michigan. Just down the street is a fantastic outlet mall, fashioned after the American stereotype of Dutch architecture; ie bright orange roofs made of plastic, but 'designed' to look like tiles, and walls made to look like post and lintel construction using timber with white plaster infill; sort of a Dutch meets German fusion, but hell, people in Michigan don't know much difference. I'll try and get pics of it tomorrow.

Today we drove from my grandpa's house in Columbia, Missouri and went out to dinner at a restaurant with good food, but a style of early 90's decadence. You know, fake grapes and vineyard branches, sponge painted walls, bright colors, etc. Funny enough, the customers were dressed with a similar style of tackiness. That's what you get when you let Marty pick the restaurant.

On the road today I tried to get my family to stop for lunch at a trucker diner, to experience the life of being on the road constantly, but no, we had to stop at Wendy's, of all places. I had a Spicy Chicken Sandwich with a Coke. Also, I tried to get my brother, who was driving at the time, to put the car on cruise, and then we could switch seats mid-road, but he would have none of it. My family isn't very adventurous; hopefully this week will be a bit more exciting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sam I tried to leave a comment on the Syndicate and I was told it was for members only. What kind of a Fascist Regime are you guys running?

Anyway, here is the comment:

Josh Ramus, I've spoken to him on the phone a few times when I was thinking of heading out to NYC....real nice guy, good friends with Larry Bowne.

The U.S. division of OMA is not
what you would expect. The room is about the size of a Seaton Hall studio with desks sitting on file cabinets with computers on top...the "confernce room" is more or less a card table by a water cooler with folding chairs around it. Drop ceiling and flouresent lights...I think between 8-15 people work there at any point in time.

If it's not to much trouble, maybe you could make your blog public. Then people could respond to what you have to say, after all, it is the Blog of change, right?

ercwttmn said...

sammy,

well at least your trying for an adventure. I also know the feeling of having to get into the groove of being with family. sorry you could'nt grind on some road food, however since you did have to stop at Wendy's the spicy chicken was a fine choice.

sloring said...

brad - i'll tell tommy about it, he's the one with the admin account