Monday, July 11, 2005

Lost in re-adaptation

Well, I thought that things were back to normal, but I was wrong. I guess it takes a little longer to readapt to being home that I thought. It isn't really any one specific event that has caused me to believe this, just a combination of small ones. Things that used to not annoy me as much (having to sit endlessly in traffic), now irritate me beyone all means. When I see the trophy wife crowd, both current and future, I am no longer excited by their looks but am now rather disgusted by their ignorance about life. I feel like I have changed, but the world around me has not, and this makes me feel akward. I have come back to a place and a life that was once me but now is not. Will I gradually filter back in, or will I feel like this forever?

The funny thing is, people in Europe are just like the people over here, they just have slightly different cultures. You had your jocks, your preps, your skaters and your nerds over there, they just dressed and talked differently. So if is all the same, then what has made me change?

Ah well, enough musing, I have to wake up early tomorrow to go on a bike ride.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several thoughts:

1. People constantly change, in big ways and small ways. Big experiences can cause big changes. You've had a big experience.

2. The world doesn't change much, and when it does, it is usually slow, incremental and marginal. Only cataclysmic events (e.g., 9-11) generate rapid worldwide change. So, you are very probably right that the world around you hasn't changed.

3. Those other people are probably not "ignorant about life", but they very possibly don't share your values. If we did not have in this country the freedom to hold the values we choose, then we wouldn't have much freedom at all. Take away that freedom, and you probably wouldn't be in architecture school. And, those people are probably as contemptuous of you as you are of them. But both you and them have qualities of goodness, and qualities of not-so-goodness. So go easy on them. You're going to change some more, and so are they, and the day may come soon when they don't seem so bad.

4. Perhaps the change you identify in yourself occurred not because you were in England, but some other reason, or, more likely, a combination of reasons. Consider what they might be.

5. There are no easy answers to the questions you raise. Answering these types of questions is a life-long proposition. So don't give up.


--An anonymous professor

the syndicate said...

ooo...i know who that is.
great post.

sloring said...

thanks for the insight anon, it's always good to have 'outside council' on these types of things.