Monday, July 18, 2005

canufeelthe BEAT

So I have stopped reading Kerouac's Visions of Cody because it is boring. There is no plot, and it is just pages after pages of one run on sentance. It is basically a character study of Neil Cassidy, one of Kerouac's good friends and is not really moving anywhere in a hurry. I know that is his[Kerouac] style, but it is quite difficult to read the book and I don't really feel like having it take the rest of my summer to read. I will get around to it eventually, I just want to get to some other stuff.

My dad[conservative] has been criticizing Kerouac and the Beat authors as just being trash, yet he has never read any of their work. I have tried to get him to read On the Road, but he will not do it. He gave me a book called, The Long March: How the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s Changed America, which is basically a left-wing criticism of the right-wing counterculture from the Beats all the way up. It's interesting, I just don't agree with a lot of it. One of the reasons that I am reading it[besides b/c I want to see BOTH sides of the debate] is so that I can tell my dad that since I read his book, he has to read my book. Think it will work? I'm optimistic.

Tuesday I am going to Manhattan[little apple] to move all of my stuff to my new apartment for good[finally]. Then, Wedel can have my key[also gives me an excuse to go to Lawrence]. I will also be applying for a job at Radinas[coffeeshop].

curious thought of the day: I wonder if in the future[near/far?] people will discontinue to hang out with friends in reality and just socialize via facebook[online]? Think about it[scary], never actually going to a party or firends, just hopping on your computer[apple!] and typing something on your friends wall[OMG!!! UR sooo CUTE!!!!! luv u 4evr!!].

No comments: