Friday, July 01, 2005

Lost in Translation

So after work tonight I hit up Blockbuster and rented Sophia Coppola's recent film, Lost in Translation, and 'wow!' was I blown away. It was such a poignant and truthful film that I am tempted to watch it again, even though it is already 1:30. I cannot remember the last time I saw a movie that had me so deep within it's grip. The script was fantastic, the relationship between Johansson and Murray was so tragic and even though I knew what the eventual outcome would be, I still kept on hoping that it would not end how it did. And the cinematography was top notch as well, I loved Coppola's minimal yet effective use of camera angles. She managed to capture the emotion of the characters in a rather untraditional way through the use of the screen, not the dialogue between the characters. Beautiful.

No comments: