Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Part II

On Monday I started my second and final studio project of the semester. The last project focused on Mies Van der Rohe's courtyard house prototype, and this new project expounds on this idea. Our entire studio[14students] has been given a city block in which we broke up into 14 plots of land, each boundary being a 12' tall wall. We are to design some sort of commercial space using the courtyard house prototype as a basis for our design. This basically means that we have to design a work space for an artist, musician, architect, brewer, etc...bascially anyone who wants to work but doesn't do retail. I have decided that I am going to design a recording studio and I am going to use sound as a major element in my design. There was a guest lecturer on Monday who talked a lot about sound and showed some of his work in which he merges sound and video into one, each determining what the other does. He talked a lot about the future of music and how it will probably start to involve all of the senses, not just sound, and I found his work to be quite stimulating. Then, later that night we had a very good debate at Belly's, talking about a lot of stuff, and the lecturer/artist was one. When I got home I had a lot of ideas running through my head and I wrote a lot of them down and determined that I want to try to use sound to enhance my spaces and to relate all of my spaces to each other. I haven't quite determined exactly how I am going to do so yet, but I've got a few ideas that I am going to try out.

Yesterday I went up to the Rec and played raquetball/squash with one of my friends. Well, they were out of raquetball equipment, so we played raquetball with squash equipment because we didn't know how to play squash. It was interesting, to say the least, and it made me really tired last night. Today I am quite sore, especially my left[swingingarm].

No comments: