Sunday, June 25, 2006

Change is coming

Well, Tuesday is the big day.

At 11am I will be taking off from KCI aiport on my way to my new apartment in New York City, whereupon I will be taking a cab loaded with my luggage of jeans, shirts, socks, underwear and my computer to a 3 story brick house in the Ditmars area of Astoria, Queens. Hopefully my broker will be there with my keys, or else I will be sitting there waiting on the sidewalk for her to show up, my luggage acting as a very nice makeshift chair. I have no furniture, so the following day I will be making a trip to IKEA to find me some not so quality, cheap modern furniture and a mattress where I can lay my tired body. Hopefullly on Friday my 6 boxes of misc. items plus two boxes of computer parts will arrive without any major holes in them, and I will be able to assemble some sort of a home between those brick walls, a place where I will dwell.

It's funny that the word dwell has become such a critical one for me in this transitional stage of my life. I spent all of last semester studying the meaning and implications of the word and now I get a chance to put my knowledge of the word to use in a different way. Instead of designing a house with an unlimited budget and scope, I will now be focused on a very limited budget with just as great of a scope. I see this as a space that will be me for the next several years, and one that I will need to feel comfortable in. I'm not talking a pre-Brad Pitt encountering Edward Norton style of determining whether or not this rug best describes me as a person, but a space that will allow me to be creative and confident in my life. It is intimidating moving to a city of 12 million, and if I have my own little corner of it in which I can draw strength from, then perhaps that will give me the extra push that I need. I still have no job, and this something that has constantly been at the back of my mind, as I will only have about 3 months of rent saved up before I have to find another channel of funds. If this place can help me to consolidate my mind and motivations, and give me a little bit of luck then hopefully good things will be in store for me.

Now I must go pack, as time is of the essence.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Best of luck, Sam. Good things will come to you, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Sam! Good luck in your move -- it's definitely scary at first, moving to a new city where you don't know anybody (or a couple people at best). But no worries, it gets better; you just have to find your own space, like you say.

ercwttmn said...

good luck sammy,

everything will work out. but make sure you find a rug that really ties the room together.