Sunday, March 25, 2007

Thoughts of the future

For some reason I have been thinking a lot about grad school this past week or so. I have only been out of undergrad for less than a year, but something about the creative, thorough investigation and camaraderie of school has been causing my mouth to water like a Pavlovian dog. Maybe it is due to the fact that I am going to San Francisco in May to visit some old friends from undergrad, or maybe because of the flurry of posts on the archinect.com web forums about people getting accepted/denied to their long dreamt about ivy-league schools, but the seed has been planted. I do not know where I would like to go, and it would still be a few years before anything materialized, but this past week has definitely started the ball rolling.

My undergraduate education was a very enlightening and positive experience, and only in my last semester did I feel like I was starting to realize the potential behind a quality architectural education. I felt like my studio with Alberto and Matt was only a taste of what graduate school would be like, and I have been left thirsting for more. K-State gave me a great practical education and a great foundation for the pragmatic art of building, but I feel like I did not get the theoretical experience that is needed to be a well-rounded and provocative architect.

Well, the Oregon/Florida game is getting down to the wire now and I am having trouble focusing on typing this post, so I think that's all you're going to get today. Still, two posts in a week, good, no?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

congratulations on the frequency of your posts Sam! As for grad school, I 'm picking up what you are putting down.

Go DUCKS!

Gustavo Ramirez said...

looks like you are having fun in NY. i'm about to make the big move to the big apple as well. got any tips?