Sunday, July 30, 2006

Working 9 to 5

What a way to make a living. [well, more 9-6:30]

Last week was my first week of work in the big city. One down, the rest of my life to go. So far everything is going very well, much more exciting work that my last internship, where I just sat behind a computer all day long. On Wednesday I went to meet with IT guys and an engineer at the job site which is a rennovation of an office space on the top floor of the Citicorp Building. When I got to the job site, I was blown away by the expansive view out the southwest to mid-town Manhattan. Every major skyscraper in the city can be seen from the view, but the best view is a very dramatic framing of the Chrysler Building, it's reflective metal gleaming in the mid-day sun.



It was quite exciting for me to get out of the office and go to the job site and interact with other members of the building process, and while I didn't really say much when they were talking about how big to size the server closet [had only been introduced to the project the afternoon before] I still learned a lot about the architectural process from a standpoint that I have never been exposed to in school. I feel like I have learned so much in only my first week of work, and I am quite excited to continue this learning experience.

Oh yeah, my bosses are really cool, as every day at around 4:30 they will pay for beverage orders from the cafe downstairs along with some snacks!

5 comments:

ercwttmn said...

"you're all grows up and you're grows up", sammy.

glad to hear the first week was exciting.

i would never eat here anyway....

Anonymous said...

so I'm the asshole?!?

FastTrakStatus said...

one question :

what beverage do you order?

sloring said...

iced coffee, recently

Anonymous said...

No doubt, Iced coffee? Good thing your bosses pay for that or you'd have to get money from out of your purse, Samantha.